“Johnsville Through the Years”
From 2012 to 2013, The Southeastern Pennsylvania Cold War Historical Society briefly maintained a display cabinet entitled, "Johnsville Through the Years", located at the Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum, Horsham, PA
We rotated exhibits in the cabinet highlighting various aspects of the former Naval Air Development Center, Warminster, PA, including employees, departments, and projects.
Displays included the following:
- The Computer Department at the Naval Air Development Center, Warminster, PA
- The Development of Nomex, as Spearheaded by Alice Stoll, Biophysicist
- Airborne Early Warning (AEW) Radar System: Beginnings and Integration as Experienced by Walter Raymond “Gus” Gustafson
83rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Cold War Historical Society’s President, Eleanor O’Rangers, delivered an oral presentation entitled, “DOCUMENTING PIONEERING HIGH-G PHYSIOLOGY RESEARCH THROUGH ORAL HISTORIES” during the 83rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Aerospace Medical Association in May, 2012 in Atlanta, GA.
The presentation’s objectives were to:
- Create awareness of the efforts of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Cold War Historical Society and its ongoing oral history preservation efforts.
- Pay tribute to the military and space program advancements accomplished at the Aviation Medical Acceleration Laboratory in Warminster, PA
- Inspire future generations to pursue science and research careers.
It was a surprise to have several audience members approach Eleanor following the presentation to congratulate her and to reveal that they had worked in Warminster at the Aviation Medical Acceleration Laboratory (aka the Dynamic Flight Simulator/Johnsville Centrifuge)!
Our organization has been invited to present to various local organizations over the years. If you are interested in scheduling a presentation or display, please contact us
- Mercer Museum (display table)
- Warminster Day (display table)
- Warminster Free Library (display cabinet)
- Doylestown Historical Society
- Hilltown Historical Society
- NARFE Chapter 0740, Doylestown, PA
- Neshaminy Questers, Ivyland, PA
- Rotary Club of Warminster, PA
- Rotary Club of Warrington, PA
- Warminster Free Library (webinar)
- Other Special Events
- “Apollo 50” at the Fuge
Celebrating John Glenn’s Centennial in Cambridge and New Concord, OH, July 16-18, 2021
In addition to interviewing author Alice George ("The Last American Hero: The Remarkable Life of John Glenn"), we also had the opportunity to present on John Glenn's centrifuge training in Warminster, PA prior to his Mercury flight.
Astronaut Don Thomas (center) flanked by SE PA Cold War Society's President Eleanor O'Rangers (right, in red, white and blue) and her friend, Christine Estacion.
Author and astronaut panel, John Glenn Centennial - July 16-18, 2021. Left to right: Rick Booth, moderator (and Centennial organizer), author Alice George ("The Last American Hero- the Remarkable Life of John Glenn"), author Jeff Sheshol ("Mercury Rising: John Glenn, John Kennedy and the New Battleground of the Cold War") and Ohio astronaut Don Thomas (who gave a wonderful and amusing talk.)